Well, that was a night.
We were thrilled to host Weird Beard co-founder Gregg Irwin as our special guest at our first official Hop Burns & Bottle Share night.
Gregg and co-founder Bryan Spooner launched Weird Beard in early 2013 and by the end of that year, they were voted the fifth best new brewery in the world at the Ratebeer awards. Since then, they’ve launched what must be dozens of beers – from modern icons such as Mariana Trench to barrel-aged beauties such as the Sadako series..
Weird Beard and HB&B go way back - we've loved them for years and stocked them since day one. (Jen's even on record in Des de Moor’s CAMRA London 2015 Guide as stating: “Weird Beard are on top of their game”. Consider yourself told.)
For #HBBShare, Gregg selected six of his favourite all-time beers: We've never seen such an enraptured crowd as Gregg talked the room through the beers - the tasting took twice as long as expected due to all the questions...
Once we'd tasted Gregg's selection, we threw it open to the floor to crack open a wonderful array of beers (see below for both lists).
Good times indeed - and we'll be doing it all again in a couple of months. In the meantime, pick up a 4-pack of Gregg's beers for just £15 in store.
Hop Burns & Bottle Share #1 Beer list
- Weird Beard Little Things That Kill Session IPA
- Magic Rock High Wire Grapefruit APA
- Weird Beard Sorachi Faceplant IP
- 3 Fonteinen Oude Gueuze
- Weird Beard Decadence Stout
- Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
- Cantillon Kriek Lou Pepe (Gregg)
- Weird Brodmance (Adrian)
- Brewdog Abstrakt 18 (Adrian)
- Buxton Tsar Bomba (Adrian)
- Burning Sky Monolith 2014 (Adrian)
- Brasserie de la Senne Meurisenne (Emma)
- Brasserie de la Senne Black in Japan (Emma)
- De Molen Hel & Verdoemenis 2011 (Emma)
- Filthy Chewie BIPA (Andrew - homebrew)
- Rule 55 Rauchbier (Caroline & Adam - homebrew from 2005!)
- Mikkeller / Three Floyds Blå Spøgelse Blueberry Bluebic (Caroline & Adam)
- Mikkeller Polly 1 (Kai)
- Mikkeller Stella 6 (Kai)
- Sorachi Imperial Stout (Gareth - homebrew from Gothenburg)
- Milk Him Milk Stout (Gareth - homebrew)