Every two months (ish), we invite our favourite beery people to join us for a glorious thing we call Hop Burns & Bottle Share. As well as our guests bringing along the beers they've been saving up to drink in the company of other brew enthusiasts, we ask a celebrated beer-ophile to select a handful of the beers that have changed their lives or thrilled their tastebuds.
Last night it was the turn of Tim Anderson, founder of Nanban, winner of Masterchef UK and passionate lover of beer. Tim's reverence for beer is well known - he was working behind the bar at the Euston Tap when Masterchef propelled him to fame and has since gone on to collaborate with his favourite breweries to concoct a range of fantastic (in all senses of the word) beers, several of which we tasted last night.
Tim began the night, unusually, with a 9% imperial stout, North Coast's Old Rasputin, the beer that kickstarted Tim's beery journey. From there we explored some of Tim's collaborations, starting with the brand new Market Saison, a delectably light hibiscus and green tea saison brewed with Tim's SW9 neighbours, Brixton Brewery.
Revealing his love of design and comics, Tim told us the story of his cartoon creation Sally Squirrel, initially Girl Reporter in an earlier collab, now Teen Detective in his collaboration with Weird Beard, a chokeberry miso walnut and sake yeast porter.
Next up, the iconic Pressure Drop Nanban Kanpai, a wheat IPA with yuzu, orange and grapefruit, and a staple beer at Tim's Brixton restaurant, before Tim wheeled out the big guns with Yadokai.
Yadokai is a four-way collaboration between Tim, Wild Beer, the Hanging Bat and Blackfriars Restaurant in Edinburgh - a sake-inspired yuzu, sea buckthorn and seaweed ale, it's not for the faint hearted. It's fair to say we weren't great fans of this when it first came out last year; however this year's batch went through a period of pediococcus infection in the bottle and has come out the other side triumphant and tasting better than ever. Compared to white port or a delicate sherry, this has to be tasted to be believed. To do so, you'll need to get to Nanban in Brixton - Tim recommends it as a digestif at the end of your meal.
We're so grateful to Tim for taking the time out to come and hang with us for the night, share his stories and his wonderful beers. Cheers sir! You can get Tim's selection (no Yadokai, sorry) at our online shop or in store while stocks last.
Here's what our guests brought to the party. The next event is scheduled for September and will feature one of Bristol's most exciting new brewers... Details announced soon.
Hop Burns & Bottle Share shares:
- Fantome Forest Ghost (Padraig)
- Clown Shoes Blaecorn Unidragon Imperial Stout (Kai)
- Against The Grain Little Did We Know Sage Smoked Saison (Kat)
- Westbrook Mexican Cake (Jamie)
- Darkk Star Imperial Stout (Jez)
- Brussels Beer Project Smells Like Hop Spirit (Emma)
- Struisse Reserva Bourbon Barrel Aged Rye Quad (Emma)
- Brewdog Born to Die 18.06.2016 (Benjamin)
- Double Ass homebrew (Kiran & Phil)
- Chilli Stout homebrew (Kiran & Phil)
- Mikkeller Brodie's Big Mofo Stout (Kai)
- Wylam All Gone South (Malee)
- Siren BA Life is A Peach (Malee)
- Siren Hillbilly Wine (Malee)
- Brussels Beer Project Brusseleir Zwet IPA (Jez)
- Yo-Ho Tokyo Black (Robert)
- Hitachino Dai Dai (Robert)
- Hitachino Espresso Stout (Robert)
- Coedo Shikkoku (Peter)
- Coedo Beniaka (Peter)